Each year, awards are presented in the following categories: Pro Athlete of the Year (formerly Outstanding Pro Athlete), Outstanding Amateur Athlete, Team of the Year, Outstanding Penn Relays collegiate performer (Frank Dolson/Penn Relays Award), Living Legend, Native Son, Humanitarian, Good Guy Athlete and Most Courageous Athlete.
In some years, awards are given in other categories: Executive of the Year, Nostalgia Team, Lifetime Achievement, Special Achievement and Special Recognition.
Several of the captains in the Flyers’ history will be honored at the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association’s 113th annual banquet, held on February 3rd, 2017. The previous night, as part of the Flyers’ 50th anniversary season, the franchise’s captains will be saluted before the team’s game against Montreal at the Wells Fargo Center.
Many other athletes will be honored by the PSWA at this year’s event. Check back for more details as they become available.
Over the years, some of our illustrious award recipients included:
- Connie Mack, Rube Waddell, Mickey Cochrane, Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, Lefty Grove, Chuck Klein, Joe Louis and Jimmie Fox.
- Knute Rockne, Jesse Owens, Eddie Arcaro, Joe DiMaggio, Robert “Tiny” Maxwell and John Heisman.
- Babe Ruth.
- ‘Babe’ Didrikson Zaharias, Billie Jean King, Cathy Rush and Theresa Shenk Grentz.
- Bobby Clarke, John Cappelletti, Howard Cosell, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, and Bernard Hopkins.
- Bob Hope.
- Walter Johnson, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt, Robin Roberts, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Happy Chandler, Ford Frick, Branch Rickey and Pete Rose.
Joe Paterno, Greasy Neale, Sid Gillman, Buck Shaw, Steve Van Buren, Jimmy Brown, Johnny Unitas, Norm Van Brocklin and Chuck Bednarik.
- Jim Thorpe, OJ Simpson, Hershel Walker, and Otto Graham.
- Wilt Chamberlain, Tom Gola, Bill Russell, Paul Arizin, Red Auerbach, Larry Brown, Lou Carnesecca, John Chanely, Chuck Daly, Julius Erving, Hal Greer, Harry Litwack, Jack Ramsay, Dolph Schayes and Bill Walton.
- Marty Liquori, Carl Lewis, Bobby Clarke, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Julie Kronse, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Tug McGraw, Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn.
- Mickey Mantle, Dizzy Dean, Monte Stratton, Pete Gray, Jim Piersall, and Jim Abbott.